Today is one of those kinds of days where I think - which issue about myself do I need to take a GOOD HARD look at. What am I avoiding? Yuk. I know the answer to this.
I am probably most avoiding my work with Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. We're half way in to the program and now it is getting hard. I am to that point where I am watching dollars and creating the monthly budget. Guess what? I can't do anything I want or buy anything I want. Ha. I have successfully managed to disillusion myself.
Dave Ramsey said something that totally stopped my tracks in the Cash Flow Planning video a few weeks back and it's been on my mind since. "The blessings of the Lord have no sorrow". He gave an example of a couple who came into the office in financial stress and in looking at their budget pointed out that they had a car payment of half their monthly income. Their response was that it was a gift from God. How often do we make things "work" and call it a miracle or blessing. I think I've gotten really good at making a way for what I want, too.
It's so easy to compare ourselves to others to make ourselves feel better. But in the American culture, there are so few financially stable couples that finding someone to truly compare ourselves to and put ourselves in our proper place is not likely. We can make ourselves look pretty good compared to most.
I was reading another chapter of Crazy Love today. While he wasn't addressing financial peace, he was talking of comparison. "It is easy to become disillusioned with the circumstances of our lives compared to others. But in the presence of God, He gives us a deeper peace and joy that transcends it all". Peace and joy are much different than a life of burden and sorrow brought on my own doing.
So I am writing out-loud my secret failings. Contentment. Diligence. Discipline. For this I pray.
No comments:
Post a Comment